5 Reasons to Hire a Professional Makeup Artist
In today’s world of social media, thumb scrolling and time crunches, your headshots and portraits are just as important, if not more than a firm handshakes and solid business cards. No matter the industry you are in, you are your own brand and therefore you will want to present the best and most authentic version of yourself into the online world. You’ve already invested in updating your headshots so why not take it to the next level with a professional makeup artist. One of the most common pieces of feed back I get from clients is that they are so happy that they went ahead and hired one of my team members. Here’s the top 5 reasons why I think it’s a wise option for your headshots and portraits…
1) Understanding Light – Professional makeup artists are not only well versed in their craft, they also understand how my lighting works. The lighting techniques I use for headshots and portraits are designed to bring out your best features to create organically flattering photographs. My makeup artists understand how the lighting interacts with the diverse range of complexions and skin types which allows them to further enhance your features. By using their artistry and products, they are able to create a cornerstone experience and have you looking as radiant as can be.
2) Application Types – There is a difference in make-up applications. You would not wear the same type of make-up to a job interview as you would for a night out on the town with your friends. We are going for natural looks by using complimenting and soft colors. My team understands that the goal of a headshot is to keep you not only looking natural, but ensuring the attention stays on your expression (not the heavy contouring or bold eye shadows for example).
3) Custom Techniques – Each of the artists are able to apply makeup that can be customized to suit your specific needs or profession. For example with actors, a teen actor may have an upcoming audition for an older role and can appear to be that target age with the proper makeup. This can also go for older actors auditioning for younger roles. Appearing older in your headshots can also convey being experienced and knowledgeable. This usually applied towards business or corporate headshots
4) Attention to Detail – It’s all in the details! Things such as lipstick, eyebrows, hair placement and even your attire will need adjustments through out your session. Also since you are most likely bringing several different outfits, they assist with styling together the best looking options. Then while I am concentrating on our connection and pulling out your best expressions, they are keeping an eye out for tucked collars, folded fabrics, off center plackets (that’s the button line on the front of your shirt) in addition to any makeup adjustments. When it comes to your looks, we strive for style and class!
5) Minimal Retouching – Using a professional make-up artist saves time in post-production and ultimately allows me to deliver your finished images in an efficient turnaround time. Touching back on all the previous points, if there are makeup corrections, fly-away hairs or clothing corrections I have to retouch, I am essentially taking away from what was organically taken at our session. I don’t want that and you don’t want that either. Again, our goal is staying true to life and as natural as possible!
Bonus Reason #1, Lite Hair Styling – My team assists with lite hair styling adjustments and those stubborn fly-away hairs. Sometimes your hair may need to be reset or adjusted pending on the outfit we are going with. Also, changing your tops is the main cause of flyaways. Not only are flyways distracting in camera it can also be distracting if I have to leave from behind the camera to tend to those. When the artists are there on set they are being a second set of eyes to tend to your appearance. Their attention to detail and the products used will help keep these squared away.
Bonus Reason #2, Pampering – Since the artists stay on set throughout the duration of your session tending to your makeup, attire and hair, you’ve essentially treated yourself to a pampering session. Now that you’ve had your makeup professionally done, you can plan a nice afternoon or evening with a special someone or your friends. Trust me. You will want to you’re gonna look and feel good! So why not take advantage of the pampering you just treated yourself too.
The Makeup Artists
When planning your headshots, you are more than welcomed to do your own hair and make-up, however I can promise you this… using my team that I have worked alongside for many years will help in creating headshots that will set your brand apart! You will also not only walk away with amazing headshots and personal branding from a professional team, but you will also walk away with a memorable experience!
On set makeup artist will evelate your photography session experience and your final images.
All the headshots above were done by the makeup artists on my team.
Additional Guides and Tips
How to Prepare for Personal Branding – Coming Soon